Ranked 1st in the UK for Food Science, The Complete University Guide 2020
The School of Food Science and Nutrition is globally renowned for its teaching and research across the whole spectrum of food, from the molecular level to how food affects our body and how our diet is influencing our health. We have just over 500 students from over 40 countries studying with us.
- 1st in the Guardian university league tables 2020 (Agriculture, Forestry and Food)
- 1st in the UK for Food Science, The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- 1st in The Complete University Guide 2020 (Food Science)
- Ranked top 100 in the world for Food Science and Technology according to ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2019
- Ranked #101-125 in the 2018 Times Higher Education World University Rankings Physical Sciences subject ranking
- 100% of our recent graduates are employed or in further study within six months of graduating (latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education survey 2016/17).
- We achieved 94% overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2019
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities in the new QS World University Rankings 2019.
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times' Good University Guide
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science
- 3.06 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
The quality of our research and the funding it attracts means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, our students will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields.