Ranked 2nd for Food Science by all the major UK league tables
The School of Food Science and Nutrition is globally renowned for its teaching and research across the whole spectrum of food, from the molecular level to how food affects our body and how our diet is influencing our health. We have just over 500 students from over 40 countries studying with us.
- 2nd in The Complete University Guide 2018 (Food Science)
- 2nd in the Guardian university league tables 2018 (Agriculture, Forestry and Food)
- 2nd in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (Food Science)
- Ranked #101-125 in the 2018 Times Higher Education World University Rankings Physical Sciences subject ranking
- 96% of our recent graduates have secured a professional or managerial role or are engaged in further study within six months of graduating, according to the latest Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey
- 83% overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2017
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework, the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times' Good University Guide
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science
- 3.06 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
The quality of our research and the funding it attracts means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, our students will be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields.