- Value: Funding covers the cost of UK/EU fees at and provides a maintenance. Funding duration is 3.5 years. UK applicants will be eligible for a full award paying tuition fees and maintenance. European Union applicants will be eligible for an award paying tuition fees only, except in exceptional circumstances, or where residency has been established for more than 3 years prior to the start of the course.
- Number of awards: Up to 2 fully-funded PhD studentships
- Deadline: Ongoing
Each project is allocated to a supervisor. Check the individual project pages to find out who will be supervising the research.
These prestigious awards are made by the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC). We have a number of projects eligible for this funding:
- The formation of massive star clusters
- Discs around giant protoplanets
- Chemical complexity in planet-forming disks
See projects for details.
How to apply
If English is not your first language, you must provide evidence that you meet the University’s minimum English Language requirements.
Formal applications for research degree study should be made online through the university's website. Please state clearly in the research information section of your application, the name of the PhD project that you wish to be considered for as well as the name of your proposed supervisor. In the ‘residency and funding’ section, please state ‘STFC funded scholarships’ as your sponsor.
If you require any further information please contact the Graduate School Office
We welcome scholarship applications from all suitably-qualified candidates, but UK black and minority ethnic (BME) researchers are currently under-represented in our Postgraduate Research community, and we would therefore particularly encourage applications from UK BME candidates. All scholarships will be awarded on the basis of merit.