Professor Melvin Hoare
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: astrophysics; star formation; radio; infrared
- Email: M.G.Hoare@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3864
My research focuses on the formation of massive stars - the ones that live fast, die young and control much of galaxy evolution. I carry out high resolution observations in the radio, millimetre and IR regimes to investigate how material accretes via discs and how feedback via jets and winds halts the infall. I am on the Science Working Group for the next generation radio observatory the SKA which has the potential to probe planet formation and the origins of life. I also chair the STFC grants panel for observational astronomy.
- The Square Kilometre Array next generation radio telescope
- e-MERLIN radio array and Legacy Surveys - one of which I lead
- The Red MSX Survey. Leeds led project to find all massive young stars in the Galaxy
- The CORNISH Survey. High resolution radio survey of the Galactic plane that I lead.
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.