Dr Caroline Orfila
I am interested in understanding the role of the cell wall polymers in determining the textural and nutritional properties of foods. I am collaborating with academic colleagues in the area of food processing and food biochemistry, as well as industry partners, to develop this multidisciplinary area of research.
- Director of Research and Innovation
- Role of the cell wall in determining food texture and nutritional quality
- Fibre and Health
- Starch Digestion and Health
- BSc Biochemistry and Food Science (University of Leeds)
- PhD in Plant Sciences (University of Leeds)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Northumbria University)
- Registered Nutritionist (Association for Nutrition)
- Nutrition Society (Member)
- Higher Education Academy (Fellow)
My teaching focuses on educating learners on the principles of nutrition and nutritional biochemistry at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Research groups and institutes
- Nutrition and Public Health
- Functional Biopolymers for Food and Health
- Human Nutrition and Lifestyle Intervention
- Digestion and Delivery
- Food Safety, Security and Sustainability
Current postgraduate research students
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.