Professor Alan Mackie
- Position: Chair in Colloid Chemistry
- Areas of expertise: simulating upper gastrointestinal tract digestion; food colloids; interfacial properties; lipid hydrolysis; mucins and mucosal interactions.
- Email: A.R.Mackie@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1420
- Location: Food Science and Nutrition
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
- Head of School
Alan Mackie is Professor of Colloid Chemistry in the Department, appointed in September 2016 after a career based at the Institute of Food Research in Norwich. Alan's principal research interest is in tailoring of food structures for improved health benefits. This involves research in the following areas:
- Using processing and formulation of dairy based protein systems to control nutrient release and regulate satiety.
- Investigating the role of fibre in the upper GI tract including interactions with bile acids, as a potential agent to alter intestinal mucus permeability and alter the transport of food components into the colon.
The laboratory is in the process of being equipped for this work with various specialist pieces of equipment including: interfacial rheometers, surface tension apparatus and both static and semi-dynamic simulations of upper gastrointestinal digestion. In addition we will have the capability to fully analyse the products of digestion as well as assess their interactions with the intestinal mucosa.
Alan has worked with a wide range of UK sponsors including UK research councils, EU and other international funding agencies and in collaboration with a number of large national and international food companies. Potential visitors are very welcome to discuss related projects, funded for example via UK Research Councils (BBSRC and EPSRC) the European Union (e.g., EU Marie Curie schemes) or the Royal Society, etc.
- PhD, Colloid Chemistry, 2004, UEA
- BSc Hons Physics with electronics, 1982, UEA
Research groups and institutes
- Food Colloids and Processing
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.