Dr James Smith
- Position: Lecturer in Biochemistry (Metabolic & Biophysical Modelling)
- Areas of expertise: computational drug design; biophysical and metabolic modelling; drug & xenobiotic metabolism; network biology; computational systems biology
- Email: J.Smith252@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1414
- Location: 7.65 E.C. Stoner
- Website: LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
After graduating from the University of Leicester, James started his postgraduate research career at the University of Oxford, then accepted a PhD studentship in drug design at the University of Cambridge. As a postdoctoral research associate in computational chemistry, James reearched into drug interactions and was funded by both AstraZeneca and Unilever and then the MRC at the Centre for Protein Engineering to work on peptidomimetic design.
From 2004 to 2007, James worked as a Resarch Fellow at the University of Erlangen-Nuremburg in Germany then three years as a Volkswagen Foundation-funded Fellow in Computational Systems Biology at Jacobs University Bremen. Returning to the University of Cambridge in 2010, he became a visiting Lecturer at the Cambridge Computational Biology Institute and returned to work in structure-based drug discovery at the Departments of Biochemstry and Chemistry. James was offered a temporary lectureship jointly at Birkbeck College London and UCL for the BBSRC SysMIC DTP Consortium. In 2013, he was appointed as an MRC Senior Investigator Scientist and moved to MRC Human Nutrition Research (now MRC Elsie Widdowson Laboratory), UK.
- Natural Sciences Link Tutor
- Undergraduate and Postgraduate Module Leader
James Smith is a Lecturer in Biochemistry in Metabolic & Biophysical Modelling appointed in September 2016. James' interests are in computational systems and structural biology, in method develpment for the prediction of emergent states in metabolic processes.
- Ms Nienyun Sharon Hsu
- Mr John Holden, jointly funded and co-supervised by DEFRA and the University of Newcastle
- NIHR Peer reviewer
- European Commission H2020 Registered Expert Evaluator
- From the BBSRC on Gateway to Research
- PhD, Computer-aided Drug Design and Pharmacology, University of Cambridge (2002)
- BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences, University of Leicester (1993)
- Biochemistry Society
- British Biophysical Society
- Mathematical Biology Society
Past and present teaching responsibilities
- Module coordinator on FOOD2031 Molecules in Food that Control Texture and Taste; FOOD5241M Structure and Function of Food Components, and lecturer on the following FOOD 3130 Food Research: Recent Revelations and Disputes;
- Final year BSc undergraduate and MSc research project Supervisor
Research groups and institutes
- Food Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Theoretical Modelling and Simulation
- Soft Matter Physics
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.
Projects currently available:
- Bayesian clustering, Dirichlet process mixture modelling and metabolic profile landscape analysis of fat and lipid biomarkers derived from large-scale lipidomics