Dr Richard Ansell
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: chemical sensors; molecular recognition; nanostructured materials; molecularly imprinted polymers; templated materials; modified electrodes and photoelectrodes; electroorganic synthesis
- Email: R.J.Ansell@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6415
- Location: 2.91a Chemistry
- Website: Personal home page | Twitter
I have a first degree in Natural Sciences from the University of Cambridge and a PhD in Biotechnology, also from the University of Cambridge. I have post-doctoral reasearch experience in Cambridge, Lund (Sweden) and Regensburg (Germany), before moving to Leeds as a Lecturer in 1999.
- Director of Student Education
My main interest is in new advanced materials and their applications in analytical science and electrochemistry. The work is multidisciplinary, at the boundaries of physical organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, materials chemistry and analytical science.
Projects are in several areas
- Molecular recognition in imprinted polymers: Improving molecular recognition in these synthetic receptors through understanding and manipulating the interactions of the ligand with the binding site.
- Electrochemical biosensors: The interactions of NAD(P)(H) mimetics with dehydrogenases, electrochemical mediators and molecular wires, and their use in sensors.
- Nanostructured materials and surfaces: Using organic structures as templates to grow nanostructured inorganic films, tubes and particles.
- Self-assembling molecular gels.
- Modified electrodes for electroorganic synthesis, and photoelectrochemistry.
- BA (Hons), MA(Cantab)
- CChem, MRSC
I teach in the areas of analytical and physical chemistry, particularly focussing on chromatography, separation science and electrochemistry. As Director of Student Education I have responsibility for ensuring the delivery and quality of all teaching within the School.
Research groups and institutes
- Crystallisation and Directed Assembly
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//physicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.