Dr Stephen Griffiths
- Position: Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: applied mathematics; fluid dynamics; atmospheric and oceanic flows; magnetohydrodynamics; instability theory; linear and nonlinear waves; ocean tides; numerical modelling.
- Email: S.D.Griffiths@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5186
- Location: 8.25 School of Maths
- Website: Personal home page | Researchgate
- Postgraduate Research Tutor in Applied Maths
- Programme Manager for MSc Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics
My research lies within the mathematical geosciences, and is mainly oriented towards the fluid dynamics of the Earth's atmosphere and ocean. My aims are to understand observed dynamical phenomena, either by numerical simulations or through mathematical analysis of simplified theoretical models. Particular interests are:
Instability theory: analytical and numerical modelling of linear and nonlinear instabilities in rotating, stratified shear flows; inertial instability; symmetric instability.
Nonlinear waves: analytical and numerical modelling of coupled nonlinear wave equations.
Waves in the atmosphere and ocean: analytical and numerical modelling; internal waves; equatorial waves; convectively-coupled waves.
Ocean tides: global numerical modelling; regional numerical modelling of internal tides; paleotides and climate; ice-tide interactions; self-gravitation and Earth loading.
Magnetohydrodynamics: instabilities, and shallow-water magnetohydrodynamics.
Martian dynamics: numerical modelling of subsurface temperature and ice.
Numerical methods: finite-difference schemes and boundary schemes for irregular domains.
- PhD (Cantab)
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Mathematics (Part III Maths)
- MA (Cantab)
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
I teach modules in applied mathematics, and supervise projects at level 3 and level 5 in computational mathematics and geophysical fluid dynamics.
Research groups and institutes
- Applied mathematics
Current postgraduate research students
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.