Dr Alexander (Sandy) D. James
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: heterogeneous kinetics; surface uptake; heterogeneous nucleation; meteoric material.
- Email: A.James1@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8078
- Location: 1.56 Chemistry West
After recieving my MChem from Edinburgh in 2012, I came to Leeds to work for my PhD with John Plane. After a brief Teaching and Research fellowship I am now undertaking a new project as a Recearch Fellow.
I am a heterogeneous kineticist. I use a variety of techniques to probe the rates of processes which involve materials of two different phases. During my PhD I applied this to investigating the impact which meteoric material has as it sediments through the atmospheres of Earth, Venus and Titan. I am now embarking on an exciting new project involving vehicle emission.
- PhD atmospheric chemistry, University of Leeds
- Master of environmental and sustainable chemistry, University of Edinburgh
In 2016/17 I acted as physical chemistry teaching fellow. This involved tutoring several groups, demonstrating in physical laboratories for level 1 and 2 students and giving a foundation level lecture set. I expect to continue to give this lecture set and to take tutorial groups in 2017/18.
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our research opportunities allow you to search for projects and scholarships.