Dr Adrian J. Barker
- Position: Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
- Areas of expertise: extrasolar planets; tidal interactions between planets and stars; astrophysical fluid dynamics; waves, instabilities and turbulence in astrophysics.
- Email: A.J.Barker@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5165
- Location: 9.314 Physics Research Deck
- Website: ADS public library | arXiv.org | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, a position I took up in August 2016. I was previously a Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow and Postdoctoral Research Associate at DAMTP, University of Cambridge (2013-2016) and a CIERA Research Fellow at CIERA, Department of Physics & Astronomy, Northwestern University, USA (2011-2013). Prior to that I did my PhD at DAMTP, University of Cambridge (2007-2011).
My primary research interests are in Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics related to the formation and evolution of extrasolar planetary systems, particularly to tidal interactions between planets and stars, the dynamics of astrophysical discs (such as those around young stars within which planets are believed to form), in addition to waves, instabilities and turbulence in stellar and planetary interiors.
Further information about my research can be found on the AGFD group webpage, which I manage.
Any research projects I'm currently working on will be listed below. Our list of all research projects allows you to view and search the full list of projects in the faculty.
- PhD Theoretical Astrophysics, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- MPhys Theoretical Physics, University of Leeds
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society
Research groups and institutes
- Applied Mathematics
- Astrophysical and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
Current postgraduate research students
- Asma Almazaydeh
- Shami Alsallami
- Alessandro Balata
- Samuel Boobier
- Graham Boustead
- Elizabeth Crilly
- Joseph Eatson
- Wei Fu
- Dr Erick Garcia-Ramirez
- K. Ellen Kendrick
- Anja Komatar
- Rosario Mennuni
- Nikita Merkulov
- Grace Ronnie
- Amit Shah
- Duncan Sleigh
- Fiona Torzewska
- Isobel Webster
- Harrison Laurent
- Nuno Casanova
- Christina Pontin
- Nahlah Alkhunain
- Frances Roberts
- David Ryan
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="//physicalsciences.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.