Dr Adrian J. Barker
- Position: Lecturer in Applied Mathematics
- Areas of expertise: extrasolar planets; tidal interactions between planets and stars; astrophysical fluid dynamics; waves, instabilities and turbulence in astrophysics.
- Email: A.J.Barker@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5165
- Location: 9.314 Physics Research Deck
- Website: ADS public library | arXiv.org | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, a position I took up in August 2016. I was previously a Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellow and Postdoctoral Research Associate at DAMTP, University of Cambridge (2013-2016) and a CIERA Research Fellow at CIERA, Department of Physics & Astronomy, Northwestern University, USA (2011-2013). Prior to that I did my PhD at DAMTP, University of Cambridge (2007-2011).
My primary research interests are in Astrophysical Fluid Dynamics related to the formation and evolution of extrasolar planetary systems, particularly to tidal interactions between planets and stars, the dynamics of astrophysical discs (such as those around young stars within which planets are believed to form), in addition to waves, instabilities and turbulence in stellar and planetary interiors.
Further information about my research can be found on the AGFD group webpage, which I manage.
- PhD Theoretical Astrophysics, DAMTP, University of Cambridge
- MPhys Theoretical Physics, University of Leeds
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society
Research groups and institutes
- Applied Mathematics
- Astrophysical and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics